Thursday, February 24, 2011

{It's Anxiety, not Stress}

I have an Anxiety Disorder! I am not suffering from Stress!
Life can be very stressful from time to time. It could be a broken car, finances, moving, etc. These are stressors in our lives that make us feel worn or anxious. But this is not the same for anxiety. Stress is some sort of event in your life that makes you feel overwhelmed, anxious, worried, etc. Anxiety is constantly feeling worried, panic, anxoius etc. There isn't any real stressor. For example, moving is very stressful. But once the move is all said and done the stress subsides. With Anxiety, there aren't any "events" that are causing your anxiety. It is just constant uneasiness, panic, fear. Sometimes, they don't even know why they feel that way.

I just do not think that everyone knows that anxiety is a true disorder. I can't blame them, I didn't know for a long time. Anxiety can be debilatating. It can make everyday activites hard. It can affect relationships. The fear one feels can prevent them from getting a job. There is so much too it.

I am not suffering from Stress. My anxiety can't be easily treated with a change of diet, exercise, caffiene elmination etc. I need medication and therapy. This is a true mood disorder.

1 comment:

  1. sing it sista! I totally 100% agree. Anyone who thinks its stress has no clue, and doesn't know what they're talking about. Just like people think anti-depressants are "happy pills" or we somehow get a "high" off of them. Yeah right!

    ReplyDelete